My cousin recently reported about her visit to a modern medical doctor, she was told to start taking more calcium. When I asked how the consulting doctor knew this, she said it was a general guideline for women in their thirties.
There is constant drumbeat in our media; if we don’t get more calcium, our bones will collapse like a house of cards. So all kinds of calcium supplements get pushed upon us, from additives in cereals to Tums. There are so many things wrong with this scenario. I will start with one.
Balanced Minerals- As intended by nature, calcium never shows up alone in any living food source, i.e. plant or animal. Moreover, bones are like structural concrete; a complex combination of materials that need to be proportionately combined to achieve full strength. Simplistically increasing only one thing, calcium, creates an imbalance that can backfire most cruelly.
A recent study on expectant/ lactating mothers found that supplementing only calcium over a 12 month period actually led to significant bone loss, as compared to the placebo group with out any calcium added. (Jarjou LMA et al. “Effect of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2010:92 450-457) This study, cited by Dr. Alan R. Gaby in the Townsend Letter for Doctors, July 2011:37-38. He goes on to comment that only increasing calcium, “interferes with the absorption of magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, and silicon, each of which plays a role in maintaining bone health”. Again it’s like trying to make concrete by only supplying sand, without the right proportions of cement, water, pebbles, etc. you don’t get structural integrity. Worse yet, the body will actually pull apart bone mass to restore the deficient minerals to the bloodstream. That’s because bone is used as storage of these minerals for times of need; even if it is artificially induced by short sighted nutritional advice.
So when I saw my cousin at my chiropractic practice, I recommended a balanced mineral supplement.
Best foods are goat milk products (more similar to human milk than cow milk). Also, consider leafy greens, after all, where did the cows and goats get the minerals for their milk? One of my favorite mineral sources are the seaweeds, additionally rich in chromium, a mineral now lacking in the soil.
- Follow Union Square Spinal Care on WordPress.com
- @Miss_Tea_Maven Sweet ride! 2 days ago
- @gothamderby Despite the predicted cold, I'm coming in to provide care at tonight's scrimmage. So bundle up, and prepare to play hard. 4 months ago
- RT @gothamderby: Get ready to meet the 2019 Gotham Girls Roller Derby Fresh Meat! Don't miss this exciting event as our newest draftees are… 4 months ago
- @PageSings Plan to visit NYC? Soon? 6 months ago
- @PageSings your video just showed up on my feed, rare that I look at "tweeter" 6 months ago
- @gothamderby, the Tel Aviv skaters posted new video. Yes, they practice on a concrete floor at the local "Tech Spor… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 months ago
- RT @GGRDJeerleaders: Join the Jeerleaders! Auditions are Sunday, November 4th! We're an all-gender, body positive squad who cheers on our a… 7 months ago
- RT @gothamderby: Are you trying out for our 2019 season? Our mini boot camps are the perfect opportunity to meet coaches and skaters while… 8 months ago
- RT @GGRDJeerleaders: Dance experience a plus, enthusiasm a must! We're the cheerleading squads for @GothamGirls local teams. We're a body… 8 months ago
- @gothamgirls @MTLROLLERDERBY We want video! 10 months ago
- RT @gothamgirls: This Saturday! Double the derby, double the fun at #ConeyIsland! Are you team 🧡🧡🧡 or 💛💛💛? Tickets here: https://t.co/vgEU8… 11 months ago
- @gothamgirls I will be treating skaters this Wednesday, if you can't see me then, arrange to drop by here at my off… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 months ago
- @neilhimself My former secretary now theater owner , @RobinSokoloff facebook.com/robin.sokoloff… 11 months ago
- @tubeampfixer That was my amp, sounds amazing, my floors are shaking with 435 tube watts of clean, bass. Best it has ever sounded. 11 months ago
- @gothamgirls Cheering for "Queens of Gridlock", gotta stay neutral here. 1 year ago
- @gothamgirls @bostonderby Tough play and determination by the "Termies" kept this game inspiring despite the lopsid… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago
- RT @alyankovic: Art by @thezawesome27 https://t.co/B6ot9LX2rG 1 year ago
- @PhizLair @Fender Tiny handed bassist=Mustang/Musicmaster bass love. 1 year ago
- @gothamgirls Great time last night at the Derbyutaunt Ball. Thanks for the shout out as a sponsor; just to clarify… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 year ago
- @PhizLair "Walk a mile in another's shoes". You will want to be that far away when they discover you stole them. 1 year ago