My cousin recently reported about her visit to a modern medical doctor, she was told to start taking more calcium. When I asked how the consulting doctor knew this, she said it was a general guideline for women in their thirties.
There is constant drumbeat in our media; if we don’t get more calcium, our bones will collapse like a house of cards. So all kinds of calcium supplements get pushed upon us, from additives in cereals to Tums. There are so many things wrong with this scenario. I will start with one.
Balanced Minerals- As intended by nature, calcium never shows up alone in any living food source, i.e. plant or animal. Moreover, bones are like structural concrete; a complex combination of materials that need to be proportionately combined to achieve full strength. Simplistically increasing only one thing, calcium, creates an imbalance that can backfire most cruelly.
A recent study on expectant/ lactating mothers found that supplementing only calcium over a 12 month period actually led to significant bone loss, as compared to the placebo group with out any calcium added. (Jarjou LMA et al. “Effect of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2010:92 450-457) This study, cited by Dr. Alan R. Gaby in the Townsend Letter for Doctors, July 2011:37-38. He goes on to comment that only increasing calcium, “interferes with the absorption of magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, and silicon, each of which plays a role in maintaining bone health”. Again it’s like trying to make concrete by only supplying sand, without the right proportions of cement, water, pebbles, etc. you don’t get structural integrity. Worse yet, the body will actually pull apart bone mass to restore the deficient minerals to the bloodstream. That’s because bone is used as storage of these minerals for times of need; even if it is artificially induced by short sighted nutritional advice.
So when I saw my cousin at my chiropractic practice, I recommended a balanced mineral supplement.
Best foods are goat milk products (more similar to human milk than cow milk). Also, consider leafy greens, after all, where did the cows and goats get the minerals for their milk? One of my favorite mineral sources are the seaweeds, additionally rich in chromium, a mineral now lacking in the soil.
- Follow Union Square Spinal Care on WordPress.com
- @gothamgirls Cheering for "Queens of Gridlock", gotta stay neutral here. 2 weeks ago
- @gothamgirls @bostonderby Tough play and determination by the "Termies" kept this game inspiring despite the lopsid… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- RT @alyankovic: Art by @thezawesome27 https://t.co/B6ot9LX2rG 3 weeks ago
- @PhizLair @Fender Tiny handed bassist=Mustang/Musicmaster bass love. 2 months ago
- @gothamgirls Great time last night at the Derbyutaunt Ball. Thanks for the shout out as a sponsor; just to clarify… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 months ago
- @PhizLair "Walk a mile in another's shoes". You will want to be that far away when they discover you stole them. 4 months ago
- @suzyhotrod55 Just discovering the WFMU website. Glad to find your archived shows. (Additionally as an early riser… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 months ago
- @RealRonHoward Superbowl? Best time to go shopping, the stores here are all open and empty of other customers. 4 months ago
- A must see show y'all. twitter.com/sydneywayser/s… 8 months ago
- @Naomielizabet #MeToo 8 months ago
- @neilhimself Someone had to say it. If not, this would have fallen onto me. THANKS! 9 months ago
- @BDHnetwork @BryceDHoward Great pics, thanks 9 months ago
- @ReaganMatt Yikes! 9 months ago
- @NYCMayorsOffice @nycHealthy It's about time. 9 months ago
- @Gothamist Oops, I got mixed up, used my roommate's tuba. 10 months ago
- @andrewburri Hi guy, what are you doing these days. Say hi sometimes.....soon. 1 year ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: Buddhists see all as interdependent. Our opponents may show us sides of ourselves we find abhorrent. In that, Trump is iro… 1 year ago
- @Naomielizabet The more I look at this pic, the more fun and weird stuff pops out at me.💘 1 year ago
- So should these cells be collecting social security? If a collection of cells are considered a human being by the "… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 year ago
- @Teresamarienyc Please call if you want to make an appointment. 212-254-4586 1 year ago