My cousin recently reported about her visit to a modern medical doctor, she was told to start taking more calcium. When I asked how the consulting doctor knew this, she said it was a general guideline for women in their thirties.
There is constant drumbeat in our media; if we don’t get more calcium, our bones will collapse like a house of cards. So all kinds of calcium supplements get pushed upon us, from additives in cereals to Tums. There are so many things wrong with this scenario. I will start with one.
Balanced Minerals- As intended by nature, calcium never shows up alone in any living food source, i.e. plant or animal. Moreover, bones are like structural concrete; a complex combination of materials that need to be proportionately combined to achieve full strength. Simplistically increasing only one thing, calcium, creates an imbalance that can backfire most cruelly.
A recent study on expectant/ lactating mothers found that supplementing only calcium over a 12 month period actually led to significant bone loss, as compared to the placebo group with out any calcium added. (Jarjou LMA et al. “Effect of calcium supplementation in pregnancy on maternal bone outcomes in women with a low calcium intake.” Am J Clin Nutr. 2010:92 450-457) This study, cited by Dr. Alan R. Gaby in the Townsend Letter for Doctors, July 2011:37-38. He goes on to comment that only increasing calcium, “interferes with the absorption of magnesium, manganese, zinc, phosphorus, and silicon, each of which plays a role in maintaining bone health”. Again it’s like trying to make concrete by only supplying sand, without the right proportions of cement, water, pebbles, etc. you don’t get structural integrity. Worse yet, the body will actually pull apart bone mass to restore the deficient minerals to the bloodstream. That’s because bone is used as storage of these minerals for times of need; even if it is artificially induced by short sighted nutritional advice.
So when I saw my cousin at my chiropractic practice, I recommended a balanced mineral supplement.
Best foods are goat milk products (more similar to human milk than cow milk). Also, consider leafy greens, after all, where did the cows and goats get the minerals for their milk? One of my favorite mineral sources are the seaweeds, additionally rich in chromium, a mineral now lacking in the soil.
- Follow Union Square Spinal Care on WordPress.com
- @Mollysdailykiss About right I guess. 10 hours ago
- I’m joining with 590,000+ fellow @MoveOn members to put pressure on @usantidoping, @wada_ama, and @iocmedia!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 days ago
- @tay_zaro Dollars or people? 2 weeks ago
- @Epiphora Wanna hear her say "suck it bitch". 3 weeks ago
- @thisisnaomie Shalom sweetie! 3 weeks ago
- @thisisnaomie It's too hot to even look at that outfit! 3 weeks ago
- @tay_zaro They get shorter after June 21st. 1 month ago
- @thisisnaomie It works for Bugs Bunny. 1 month ago
- @marascotia @andreashelin @Pinterest Everyone needs a hobby. 2 months ago
- @euronewstravel I knew I would find it someday. 3 months ago
- @tay_zaro One would think you were Italian. 3 months ago
- @tay_zaro A treat to see you for us as well. Now when will you be in so I can treat you? 3 months ago
- @tay_zaro Less hassle for all of us. 3 months ago
- @thisisnaomie I'm trying but it's hard to drive like thisssss. Oopsie 4 months ago
- @tay_zaro Also need boundaries. 4 months ago
- @PhizLair "We're on a mission from god" 5 months ago
- RT @AlexanderSoros: Trump’s Election Lies Are Fueling a New GOP Voter Suppression Crusade vanityfair.com/news/2021/02/t… via @VanityFair 5 months ago
- RT @giavanam: The hardcopy is here at last! So proud to be part of this incredible collaboration centering the experiences and voices of wo… 5 months ago
- @gothamderby I am reminding our skaters that y'all can still get care at my office during this lockdown. Just conta… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 months ago
- @Cybill_Troy Mild for an NYC winter,upper 30's to mid 40's. Occasional dips below freezing. 6 months ago